Speak Your Truth

Speak Your Truth

(or "The Sexual Spectrums")

As a writer it should not be a surprise that I am an avid reader. I feel that is a requirement of a writer, to read and to continue to learn. I read books and I keep updated on the news of the day, mostly via social media. I follow politics, stories about rights for women, the environment, war and peace, the refugee crisis, entertainment headlines, health and wellness, civil rights, and more. I never thought that reading one of these stories would change my life.

One of the news agencies I follow on social media is the Huffington Post. The Huffington Post was created by Arianna Huffington and has a varied news base. They cover many of the topics listed above. I follow their main news page on Facebook, as well as their pages for news on Women, Lifestyle, Religion, Entertainment, Arts and Culture, and Good News.

One day while on Facebook, looking at my News Feed page, where posts from friends and pages I follow are shown, one story caught my eye, called “What is a Skoliosexual?” I had never heard of the term. I was intrigued by the headline. 
I clicked the link to find out more.

I remember learning about the sexual spectrum a few years ago. Much like the spectrum of visible light, (shown below)


…there is also spectrum of human sexuality. Homosexuality is on the spectrum, as well as heterosexuality, and bisexuality. The visible spectrum above is what is referenced when referring to the spectrum. A rainbow, the natural version of the visible spectrum, is the symbol of the LGBT community and the sexual spectrum.

In reading the above article, I learned that there are many points of reference on the spectrum in terms of sexual orientation and gender identification. People can identify with different places on the spectrum at the same time. Many times the LGBT community is represented on the spectrum. However, there are more classifications than just "gay" and "straight." Many more letters that could be added to this list. Many sexual orientations and gender identities exist on the spectrum, including:

Sapiosexual-one who is sexually attracted by intelligence

Intersex-people born with an anomaly in their anatomy

Androgynous-an expression of gender that is neither masculine or feminine

Polyamorous-people in an open relationship, having sexual relations with more than one person

Constellation-the term for a group of people in a polyamorous relationship

Genderqueer-people who do not identify as being male or female

Pansexual-one who has a sexual attraction to both sexes

Skoliosexual-people who are sexually attracted to transgender individuals

The LGBT sexual orientation list is but one. The sexual orientation and gender identity list could go on forever: LGBTQIASCGLPHHD

….and on and on into infinity.

In studying the sexual spectrum, I have learned that there is a second spectrum, which is a romantic spectrum. This is a romantic classification, which is separate from a sexual orientation.

Just as there are classifications for homosexual, heterosexual, and bisexual on the sexual spectrum, there are classifications for homoromantic, heteromantic, and biromantic on the romantic spectrum. Where people identify as being heterosexual on the sexual spectrum, they would identify as being heteromantic on the romantic spectrum.

Using myself as an example, I am a heterosexual, meaning I am sexually attracted to the opposite sex.  I am also heteromantic, which means I have romantic feelings for the opposite sex.

I have also learned that there is a third spectrum of human sexuality called asexuality, sometimes abbreviated “ase” (pronounced like the playing card “ace.”)

Asexuality is defined as being without sexual desire or having a low level of sexual activity. 

About 1% of the world is asexual. The asexual spectrum also has its own list of sexual orientations: LGBTIGHBPD

Learning about these three spectrums of human sexuality, I went back to the original article from the Huffington Post. It was at this point that my life changed forever. I have found that in addition to being on the sexual and romantic spectrums, I also identify on the asexual spectrum.

Again I am heteromantic, meaning that I have romantic feelings for the opposite sex. I am heterosexual, meaning I find the opposite sex sexually attractive. I am also a cisgender female, which means that my soul is in alignment with my physical body. (Cisgender is the opposite of transgender.) In addition to these classifications, I am demiromantic and I am demisexual. 
"Demisexual Flag" 

In examining the word demisexual, the prefix of the word, “demi”, comes from the French language, meaning “half.” Therefore, the demisexual orientation is halfway between the sexual and asexual spectrums.

“What does it mean to be ’demi’, either demiromantic or demisexual?”
The word demiromantic is defined as having romantic feelings for another person only after a strong emotional bond has been formed with another person.

The word demisexual is defined someone who only experiences sexual attraction after a strong emotional bond has been formed with another person.

For some demisexuals, this strong emotional bond can be a friendship; however, other demisexuals need to be in love with another person before they find them sexually attractive. I fit into the latter category.

“Why is demisexuality on the asexual spectrum?”
Many demisexuals have sexual relations while in long term relationships, and yet have no sexual relations nor experience any sexual desire when they are not in a relationship.

Also, many demisexuals are capable of experiencing moments of sexual desire which are not linked to a strong emotional bond; often there is a hormonal change that brings about this sexual desire.

Up to ninety-nine percent of the people in the world identify on the sexual spectrum and experience a primary sexual attraction to another person. A primary sexual attraction is based on the physicality of another person, their body or their face.

However, demisexuals have a secondary sexual attraction. This occurs from falling in love with another person for who they are, their soul, their personal qualities and charms. Whatever the intangible qualities are that make us fall in love someone, that is what turns romantic feelings into sexual attraction for a demisexual.


It is a wonderful thing to be found sexually attractive by a demisexual. It is the ultimate compliment. When a demisexual falls in love with someone it is because they are in love with that person, for who and what they are, for what makes that other person uniquely them. It is a pure form of love in that it is a sexual attraction to the soul. Isn’t that we all long for, a pure form of love, to be loved and found sexually attractive for who we truly are?


Like all sexual orientations, demisexuality is not a choice.  It is a different way of looking at the world, relating to other people, the world around us, those we love.

I recently read a wonderful article written by a fellow demisexual:
“I’m Demisexual: You Have to Seduce My Heart Before You Can Get to My Body.” 

For me, you have to seduce my soul before you can get to my body.

As a demisexual and a demiromantic, I am capable of finding men attractive. On my Pinterest account, I have a page of photos of men that I find attractive. I have entitled the page “Hamanahamanahamana”, a nonsensical word, a sound heard in cartoons or comedic movies when men find a woman sexually attractive. Here is a link to the page:

I do have the capacity to find men attractive. With the men shown at the link above, who could not find the beauty of the masculine form? However, there is no sexual desire attached to the attraction.


I can remember something always being off, or different for me, in relationships with men. When I was in college, I dated several young men. I had romantic feelings for some of these young men; however, there were other young men I did not have feelings for. I remember a friend asking me about those young men I had dated, and why those relationships had never become physically intimate. The truth was that those relationships had not progressed to the point of intimacy. 
I could not manufacture feelings that were simply not there.

Since my college days I have dated men, been in a few relationships, and have had men flirt with me. True to form, I was oblivious to their flirtations.

“They were flirting with me? I was just being friendly with them.
I had no idea they were flirting with me.”

In my last relationship, it was several months into the relationship before I fell in love with the gentleman in question. 
It was close to a year for my romantic feelings for him to become sexual in nature.


For years I knew something was different about me. For years I wondered what was wrong with me. I thought I was defective. I thought I was damaged. I thought I was unworthy of love in my life. I thought I was not good enough.

For years people have made judgments about me, misconceptions regarding my orientation.

“You are a lesbian and you are afraid to come out.” “You are frigid.” 
“You are a bitch for not putting out.”

With each judgment and misconception, I tried to explain my truth. Yet those who stood in judgment of me would not listen. After a while, I blocked out their judgments. Whatever someone else thinks of me is none of my business.


Reading that article in the Huffington Post made all of the pieces of the puzzle fit for me. Yes, as a “demi” I perceive the world differently than others, and yes, there is a difference in how I interact with others. Yet there is nothing wrong with me. I am not defective. I am not damaged. I am worthy of love. In fact, I have found and experienced love in my life! I am good enough.

There are 7.34 billion people on this planet. Everyone has a sexual orientation, not just the LGBT. Earlier I shared the statistic that 99% of the world is on the sexual spectrum, whereas 1% of the world is on the asexual spectrum. However, as a demisexual, I’m in between both spectrums. With so many people identifying as demisexual,  as well as other orientations on the sexual spectrum, those numbers are sure to change.


Have you ever felt that you just don’t fit in, that the pieces don’t fit, that there must be something wrong with you? If so, consult the lists of the spectrums. I have posted several links to resources below. I guarantee you will find yourself on one of the spectrums. You might find yourself on several places in the spectrums, as I did.


Last night I told a friend I had written this piece. She asked me what motivated me to write about something so personal, so completely vulnerable. I wrote this piece, and decided to share it here today, so others would not feel so alone. For years I felt alone. Now I know there is a sexual orientation and romantic classification that defines my experience. And if it exists, there are others like me who are having the same experience.

Before two weeks ago, I did not know that demisexuality existed. Yet, I now have a word to define my experience. Whatever you are experiencing, I want you to know that there people out in the world who can relate to what you are feeling and experiencing. I want you to know that you are not alone.

Wherever you find yourself on the spectrum, that is where you identify. That is what you are. You are not alone. Do not ever be ashamed of your gender identity or your sexual orientation. Be brave. Stand in your truth. To heck with others that might disbelieve you or judge you for who and what you are. You are as God made you. You were put on this Earth for a reason. There is no one else like you. 

Tell your story. Speak your truth.


Resources:









© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved



Comments