Poetry Reading

Earlier this year I had the good fortune to have my first book, “I am Hope”, reviewed in the Congregational Libraries Today magazine, published by the Church and Synagogue Library Association, abbreviated CSLA. The magazine has an audience of church librarians, librarians in synagogues, and in other places of faith.

Here is the review of my book, published in the Second Issue of 2016:
"The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines poetry as “writing that formulates a concentrated imaginative awareness of experience in language chosen and arranged to create a specific emotional response through meaning, sound, and rhythm.”  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poetry

This first poetic collection fits that definition perfectly. This lovely little first book by Esperanza Habla is graceful, poignant and definitely emotional. The book is also brave and honest. It takes great courage to write in a manner that opens oneself to people. This is a fine addition to the library for fans of poetry as well as the poetry reading novice. In either case, readers will go back to this book to be introspective or inspired. Be sure to have note paper on hand to jot down the thoughts and heartfelt words to share with others. Highly recommended."


Three weeks from today I will be participating in a literary symposium put on by the Indiana Chapter of the Church and Synagogue Library Association.

One of the ladies in the Indiana Chapter has asked that I share some information about the event. Here then is a little description of the event:

"With Indiana celebrating our bicentennial year in 2016, you may have noticed more people interested in reading historical fiction and non-fiction. Whether state, national, or international, history is a fascinating topic. During our Fall workshop, we will explore how to encourage more visits to your library by 'Bringing History to Life through Book Clubs.'

During our afternoon session, you are invited to participate in a short book club style discussion of a critically acclaimed and bestselling historical novel, Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. We will discuss the book, learn the structure of a book club, and explore how your congregational library can benefit from hosting one. Please check to see if your public library has the book in its collection. Multiple copies of this book are available from the Indianapolis Public Library for checkout or you may purchase it from Amazon for $5.63…Also, please bring your favorite book club selection or a list of books you would like to read with a group.

We are also excited to have poet, author, blogger and publisher Esperanza Habla with us to lead our morning session, 'Poetry in Motion.'"


My speech is entitled: “Poetry in Motion: My Life as a Writer.” In my speech I will be discussing my life as a writer, how I began writing, and how I started my blog.

I will also discuss my desire to become a self-publisher, why I chose the self-publishing route, how I founded my publishing company, La Luna Press,  etc. I will also have informative handouts for all attendees, showing the steps involved to starting a business, formatting a book, and more.

I will also have the opportunity to read some of my writing. I will also have my English book available to purchase.

I am putting the finishing touches on my speech, completing the handouts of information on forming a business, and beginning to read my speech aloud in practice.

For more information on the Church and Synagogue Library Association, please click the link below:

If you are interested in attending the event, find me on Facebook. I will tell you where and when. Reservations are required to attend the event.


I have never read any of my poetry aloud before, in a setting such as this. While I feel a bit nervous about speaking in public, I am excited for the opportunity to take part. I hope this will be the first of many such poetry readings. Wish me luck.

"The Review" by Esperanza Habla



© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

Comments