Vacation Time

Vacation Time
(A Letter to the Moon)

Hello Luna! How are you? I am doing well. I thought I would make a change of pace and write you before your full moon phase tonight! I saw a news article that said your full moon phase tonight will be an exceptional one, with a harvest moon, super moon, and a lunar eclipse! I don’t know if I will get to see you tonight; they are predicting rain and cloudy conditions where I live. But I will look for you! I can’t wait to see the show!


I wanted to write and tell you that I am going on vacation. I took a longer vacation on my birthday this year, which 
I normally do not do. Because I took a longer vacation then, I decided not to take vacation time in the summer. I lived to regret that decision. I have been feeling overworked and in need of a vacation for over a month now.

Today is my last day at work for a while. I am excited to have some time off from work, to rest and relax.

I heard a statistic this morning on a news program that over half of people do not take their vacation at work. I do not understand that at all. We all need time away from work, a time to recharge our energies, to relax our minds, to rest and renew. I know that I do.

I love my vacation time away from work. That is all my vacation time is for me, really, time off of work. I never travel anywhere on my vacations. I always stay home and decompress. I usually get some shopping done, treat myself to lunch out at my favorite restaurant, going to see a movie, and give myself plenty of rest and relaxation, and time with my cats Jazz and Blues.

However this vacation will be different. I am actually going on a trip!! I am going out East to visit my family. I will be boarding a plane next week at the crack of dawn. The flight is less than 2 hours, so it should not be too bad. (Airplane travel and I do not always get along. I just have to remember the air sickness medicine, and to fly on an empty stomach.)

I do not have many events planned for my trip out East. I will have plenty of time to be with my family, to do whatever. We may do a lot of things, and then again, we may do nothing! That is my favorite thing to do on vacation-absolutely nothing.

However, I do have one event planned on my trip out East. My family and I are going to the opening of the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C.

I am a charter member of the museum, having made a monetary donation in 2013 in my year of giving exercise, when 
I made a monetary contribution to a charity or cultural organization every month for a year.

I am extremely excited to attend the opening of the museum. I have read many news articles regarding the museum. The exhibits in the museum begin in the inception of slavery in America in 1619, and end in the current day, including the Presidency of Barack Obama. 

I hope to take many pictures on this trip to Washington, D.C. I have not been there since I was eleven years old. 
I remember going to the Lincoln Memorial on that trip, the Jefferson Memorial, Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, and driving past the White House. I’m looking forward to seeing all I can see in the short amount of time 
I have there, and taking pictures to commemorate the day.

Listen to me, blathering on about this trip. I just had to tell you about it, and to write you and let you know that I will be gone for a short time.

I will be sure to write again when I return home. I hope to have many photos to show you, and many stories to share with you.

Take care Luna. See you tonight.

-E





Comments