Putting Pen to Paper

My life has been controlled chaos of late. Everything is changing. 

I have made some small, positive changes in my life of late. Yet I find I still feel like nothing is the same.

And that is not a bad thing.

I have been so busy in the last two months, publishing my latest book, writing my speech for the upcoming literary symposium, that I have been too busy to do anything else.

I have not had time to sit and write, to fully express what is going on. I have not even had time to stop and think, to contemplate, to ponder, to dream.

It is said that all writers, to be good writers, must write something every day. Even if it is a note to yourself to remember something, a list of groceries you need to buy, a list of activities for the upcoming weekend, etc. 

I have adapted this practice into my life. I do write daily. I often write several times a day.

When I write, it is usually sitting in front of a computer, typing letters onto a keyboard that become words on a computer screen, as I am doing now.

Yet my life has been so busy, working on other projects, that I haven’t found the time to write.


But....

....last night, I had some free time. I finally had a moment to relax and pause. I felt like I could finally stop the ever ticking clock, and take some time for myself.

What did I do with this small block of time? I found a notebook, a nice writing pen, and began to write. I put pen to paper. 

What I wrote was nothing special, nothing worthy of putting in a book. Just some words I needed to express in thought.

Putting pen to paper was a balm to my spirit, instantly bringing about a sense of calm and relaxation. It was as if I was in a meditative state. I was relaxed, calm, focused. I was amazed at the effect it had on me.

Those 10, 15, 20 minutes, alone in thought, writing whatever popped into my head, let me relax, breathe, and see the world with a fresh perspective.

Now that I have experienced this sense of calm, I will be making this a regular part of my routine.

I look to the future with a sense of calm, with this new meditative tool in my possession.

Actually, it is not a new tool. I have had it with me all along.


Who knew such benefits could be had, simply putting pen to paper.

"I write the best stuff" by Esperanza Habla


Comments