Lessons from the Year 2018


The year 2018 has been unique to say the least. Watching a recent year in review piece on the news was quite troubling. So many horrific things happened in the past year in the United States-gun massacres, massive wildfires, devastating hurricanes, terrorist attacks, to mention but a few.

I began my first blog, the words of Hope, donning the pen name Esperanza Habla, which means “Hope Speaks” in Spanish. When I refer to myself as my pen name, I always say, “I’m Hope Speaks, and I have a lot to say.”

The gift of writing, and of having an audience, is not something I take for granted. It is not something I take lightly either. I have not written as many pieces this year, in comparison to years gone by. I have not written the normal, the mundane, the banal. I wrote instead about things that I have been compelled to say-the substantial, the crucial, the moral imperative.

The majority of things I have written and shared this year have taken me months to complete. To have an outlet to speak my thoughts and raise my voice is a wonderful thing for me. More so, have a platform to speak my values, to share my views, to hopefully enlighten, educate, and to bring about change, that is invaluable to me.

2018 was not an easy year for many people, for a myriad of reasons. It is with a feeling of hope that we look to the New Year, to put this year behind us and begin anew in the future. Here then is a look at the year that has been, and the lessons I learned in 2018.

·         A super blue blood moon is super rare and super cool

·         Nothing will change in this country, in this world, if we do not create a dialogue, communicating and listening to one another.

·         To quote a line from “Hamilton”, this is not a moment, it’s the movement. The world will never be the same. It is important for everyone to share their story with the world, if they so choose-the cold, unvarnished truth, the entirety of their story. Many stories shared include a powerful, empowering sentence of just two words: Me Too.


·         In the recent U.S. midterm elections, a record number of women were elected to public office. The world has changed, and it can only get better from here. There are phenomenal women all around you. You just have to look.

·         I have a genuine need, desire, yearning to learn new things.

·         While I have started, I have a long way to in the project of documenting my dreams.

·         I never knew I needed one. Still, anyone that has a website must now have a privacy policy.

·         My spirit animal is a unicorn. The fictional animal is the embodiment of my life. It explains and symbolizes my sexual orientation, which many do not believe exists. Unicorns exist, and we are more numerous than you can imagine. The unicorn is a symbol of validation, a spirit animal, and a badge of honor.

·         So much harm has been done to the United States since the current “President” took office January 201, 2016. It can be repaired, it can be made right. One trend in the midterm elections last month was that people voted their values-they voted for people whose values aligned with their own, regardless of political party. We put so much power into the hands of our politicians, many of which wield their power as a three year old who was just given access to release nuclear weapons on the entire planet. Before a single day in office is served, politicians take an oath of office. An integral part art of that oath of office should be a pledge to do no harm.

·         I will not publish anything until it is triple perfect. This is why I spend months on a project to perfect it before I publish it.

·         I accomplished a great milestone this year: publishing my sixth book.

·         I discovered my sexual orientation, demisexual, two years ago. To be in the Queer category of the LGBTQ acronym, and still be heterosexual, is an interesting place to be. I can see perspectives in the straight community, as well as perspectives in the LGBTQ communities. Let me give you an introduction to these rich communities.

·         The attack and murder on Matthew Shepard was an awakening to a reality in the world that I did not know, up until that point in my life-that what you are can get you killed. It opened my eyes to the realities of hate and homophobia. It woke me up, and woke up the world.

·         Twenty-five years doing anything is a milestone achievement.

·         Christmas is truly my favorite time of year. The movies, the music, the tree, the Christmas lights, the hot chocolate, it all makes me feel blissful.

·         Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, to share good tidings of great joy, and to share news from the year that has been.

·         I have seen some wonderful movies and TV shows this year, read some wonderful books, and heard some wonderful music. Here are but a few of my favorites.


2018 has been a year to remember, that is certain. However, there are many things that have happened throughout the year that we would love to forget. 

Let us then look to 2019 with wonder and joy, with the persistence and determination to make the world a better place, and with the promise of hope. We are all in this together. Let’s make it a great year.

Peace and blessings,

-E

 © Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved





Comments