Dialogue-Part Two-The Charge


Dialogue-
Part Two-The Charge

My brain has been a maelstrom for weeks. Every time I sit down at a computer, to begin to write what I have on my mind, a storm blows in, sending my thoughts into complete chaos. I have weathered the storm for weeks. I believe that the storm has finally passed. I believe it is now time to discuss what has been on my mind.

The United States is a divided nation. It has been for some time now, long before the Presidential election of 2016 ever took place.  Political leanings vary. Religious practices vary. Ethnicities vary. Sexual orientation and gender identities vary.

While countless things differ and vary, hatred remains. Hatred proliferates. The Southern Poverty Law Center reports that there are now over 1,000 active hate groups in the United States.

Though dialogue a simple idea, conceptually, is anything but simplistic. In the current climate, it can be difficult to engage in dialogue with anyone. We are quick to judge. We are quick to anger. Anything can trigger us. Any little thing can set us off. We are unwilling to engage in conversation with anyone that is different from us. However, that is one of the ways that real change will happen in this world, through dialogue.


Let me give you two examples from my life.

*

While in a bookstore recently, I saw a man wearing a red baseball cap. It had white embroidered letters on the front of the baseball cap which read: “Make America Great Again” (abbreviated “MAGA.”) These hats were worn by a Presidential candidate in the Presidential election of 2016. Those who wore the hats throughout the campaign were in support of the candidate. Today, that candidate is now the “President” of the United States.

To this day, the red baseball hats are a symbol of divisiveness and hatred towards women, the LGBTQ communities, immigrants, and people of color. Yet many followers of the “President” still wear the red baseball hats, as a symbol of fealty to him, his policies, his values, his ideologies.

Many see the red “Make America Great Again” hats as a symbol of oppression and hatred. That is my feeling on the matter; I liken it to the Confederate Flag, another symbol of hatred and oppression. In thinking back on the moment, 
I immediately thought, “He’s one of them.” I immediately made an assumption that the man’s views aligned with the “President’s.”

Too often we divide our fellow humans into categories of sameness, namely “Us” and “Them.” The reasons can be varied and numerous as to what makes someone an “us” or a “them.” Does someone pray like us? Look like us? Eat like us? Speak like us, Love like us? The list can go on and on. Whoever doesn’t fit into our “us” category is automatically a “them.” 

In seeing the man in his hateful, divisive ball cap, I instantly labeled the man a “them.” It is natural to make distinctions between people, between groups of people. We are all different; we will not be the same in every aspect of our lives. It’s human nature to think in simplistic terms of “us” and “them.” However, it is when we assign properties, or judgments to the “us” and “them” that a boundary is crossed.

The judgment, in this instance, came from me. I’m human, and I made a judgment. Seeing the man wear the red baseball cap, I made the assumption that the man’s viewpoints were equally divisive and hate filled as the “President’s.” Perhaps my assumptions were true, perhaps they weren’t. I will never know, because I never engaged him in conversation. 

If I had engaged the man in the bookstore with the “MAGA” baseball cap on, it might have changed something in his heart. People wearing these hats are being harassed on a daily basis. If I had spoken to the man, maybe that would have been the one moment of kindness he would have experienced that day. I could have been a force for change. Instead 
I made a judgment, entirely based on an article of clothing.


*

The second example did not happen to me personally, yet it had a profound effect on me. A few weeks ago, I saw a news story that completely shocked me. The story was in regard to a protest at the public library in Evansville, Indiana; the public protest regarded a particular event being held at the library-Drag Queen Story Hour.

The event is an anti-bullying program in which a Drag Queen goes to a library or school and reads stories to children. The program teaches children empathy, diversity, inclusion, and acceptance. The event has met with great success in the United States and around the world.




The day of the story hour in Evansville, there was a public protest in opposition. After the protest, many attended a city county council meeting to voice their opposition to the event. The comments were from a foundation of faith, and were hateful. 



The comments that I heard in the news clip, in opposition to Drag Queen Story Hour, can only be defined as hate speech: 
“speech that attacks, threatens, or insults a person or group on the basis of national origin, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability.”

 As I have shared here before, I am:
*cisgender (gender orientation)
*hetero-romantic (romantic orientation)
* demisexual (sexual orientation)

As a cisgender, hetero-romantic person, I am straight. That makes me like 99% of the population.

As a demisexual, which is in the asexual category, I am queer. The asexual community makes up 1% of the population.

This naturally places me in a peculiar space. While I am straight, I am also queer. I have a foot in both the straight world and the queer world.

That being said, I am lucky in that I have straight privilege. To the rest of the world, I pass as straight. As such, I am not the target and subject of discriminatory practices that are legal in many states throughout the country.


Listening to the public comments was hurtful to me, on a personal level. It triggered me, making me feel as if my stomach were tying in knots. It was at once hateful, awkward, and demoralizing.

I heard many hateful, triggering words in those comments. I heard words of judgment, including “sin.” 

I heard words of damnation and condemnation, including “abomination.”

Those hateful, triggering words were aimed at the Drag Queens that would participate in the event. To my ear, the words were also aimed at every person in the LGBTQ communities.

I have family members who self-identify as queer. I identify as queer. In my heart, it felt as if those comments were aimed at my family members, and at me. My family members and I were called an abomination, for our mere existence.


As a person of faith, it is troubling to me that people stand on a soapbox of faith. They preach their beliefs and opinions, which are most likely based on their church’s dogmas, which are, in many cases, built upon a cornerstone of hatred. This is true in many denominations in the  Christian faith, as well as countless other religions throughout the world.

“We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are ONE in the Spirit we are ONE in the Lord
and we pray that all unity 
will one day be restored

And they’ll know we are Christians by our love, 
by our love
Yes they'll know we are Christians 
by our love"
"We Are One in the Spirit" by Peter Sholtes

From a very early age, children in the church are taught that God is love. God made humanity in his image. I am as God made me to be, in his image. I was created as I am, how I am, for a specific, special purpose. God does not make mistakes.


It is true that I was not present at the city council meeting; I only saw the story about the opposition to Drag Queen Story Hour on the news. Yet, I have conservative Christian friends like this in my life. Friends that I am not out to. Friends who would believe I am an abomination if I ever were to come out to them. If I were to come out to them, nothing would ever be the same between us again.

Therein lays the rub. If I do not come out to these conservative Christian friends, nothing will change. Perhaps, if I shared my truth, if I came out to these friends, their opinion might change. It might have a positive outcome. Maybe through engaging in dialogue with them they could see me as they’ve known me all these years, and think differently about those who identify as queer. Maybe they don’t know someone who is queer. Maybe knowing someone who is queer would change their minds and open their hearts.

*

Dialogue is a simplistic concept, which can be anything but simplistic in its practice. Real change can only come about by being truthful within dialogue. It can be messy, hurtful, awkward, full of tension, uncomfortable and dangerous. It can even be a matter of life and death.

This being said, change comes from growth. It comes from uncomfortable places, uneasy spaces. Nothing will change in this world if we do not try.

Let me share a brief video which shows the power of engaging in dialogue:

The man lost everything in his life, until he began a dialogue with others, and opened his mind and heart.


This has been an awakening, a watershed moment for me. I now have a new perspective in dialogue. More than that, 
I have a charge:

to engage in dialogue with my fellow humans, in the hopes of bringing about positive change and peace.


When I meet a person, I must keep a clean slate in my mind. I cannot create any judgments, preconceived notions or prejudices. I can no longer assume that someone that looks like me shares my opinions, my core morals and values. I can no longer assume anything about anyone.

This is the charge, if you choose. When you meet a person, try to clear your head of all judgments, preconceived notions or prejudices. Begin a dialogue with those in your social circle. Learn something new about someone you’ve known for years.

Go into dialogue with a clear intent. If a topic is raised that you find triggering, express your thoughts on the matter as best you can. Don’t try to make the other person agree with you. They have a right to their point of view. Dialogue parties can agree to disagree.

That is our charge, to discuss the issues we would like to change, the direction we want the world to go in in the future, to get to know one another, to bring about positive change.

Be open to listen, to share, to enter into a dialogue with a clear intent, and with a spirit of peace.

“There should be a spirit of dialogue. Whenever we see disagreements, 
we must think how to solve them on the basis 
of recognition of oneness of the entire humanity. 
This is the modern reality.”-the Dalai Lama

“Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.”
-Maya Angelou

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved





Comments