Lessons From 2012

With the approach of a new year, it is common to think back on the past year, what we’ve experienced, what we’ve gone through, what we’ve endured, what we’ve survived, what we’ve learned. I have learned many things this year. Here is some of what I have learned:

I learned that:
It’s fun to think and dream about the next year, and all the future holds
It’s fun to get your name mentioned on the radio
I want another chance to celebrate my milestone birthday. I want to do it all over again, in a foreign city.
Pinterest is awesome!
Although I hate sports, I loved watching the Olympics
I am addicted to a certain caramel drink at an international coffee chain
It’s not the end of the world if you didn’t get the job. It wasn’t meant to be. Something better is waiting.
I have the capacity to be selfless
I could be compassionate in helping a cherished pet out of her misery
I could be there with my pet as her soul left this Earth
There is one more star in the sky
We should keep our expectations of others low. If people don’t do what they promised, we can’t be disappointed.
Whatever the future holds, it all depends on me
I want to self-publish my poetry and book
I want to create my own publishing company
Unconditional anything doesn’t exist
If something seems too good to be true, it probably is
I have growing intolerance and impatience for dishonesty and lies
Lies translate into any language
The truth hurts most when it is after a lie
I can survive being hurt and publicly humiliated by my "best friend"
I can survive what was done to me on purpose
I can walk away from my “best friend”
If someone swears that they will never hurt you-be ready. They will.
Anyone who would treat me like that is not a true friend
Games are things best played on a board, not with people’s lives
I would rather be alone than abused and played
We can only know someone by what they chose to show us 
Words can be heavy things, like rocks. They can be full of sentiment and love and meaning.
Words can be light things, like feathers floating in the wind. They can be empty, devoid of any sentiment
    or love or meaning
The phrase “I Love You” should be used sparingly. It should only be said if and when it is really meant.
I am not the same person that I was at the beginning of the year
No one else can have my power
When you know better you do better
I KnoW more
I am the keeper of the key to my heart
I can fly again
I can see the bigger picture
To move on I need to forgive
It is very hard to forgive someone who doesn’t deserve it.
That person doesn’t deserve my forgiveness. But I do.
As old friendships die, new ones are born
Two little kittens can bring so much light and love into your life
Everyone matters
It is amazing to be featured on the same website as a Beatle
I’d rather be a whale than a mermaid
I am tired of hearing about massacres due to gun violence in the US. Gun control is needed now.
    We are better than this. Enough is enough.
I no longer play to an audience of one
Change can be a good thing
Music legends die. Their music changed our lives, our world, forever. And life goes on.
We are given a blank page to write our stories every day
We are the authors of our own stories
I am an artist
I still have a voice
I am beautiful whether you tell me I am or not
There is a wonderful and welcoming community of silence
Building a website and transferring a domain name is not as easy as 1-2-3
Writing a book is not the easiest task to endeavor
I have an amazing support system of family and friends who are there for me for every success
I have reserves of strength I didn't know I had

The past year was full of ups and downs, many challenges, elation and devastation, laughter and heartaches. But I have grown and survived. I am stronger than ever. I am flying again. My wings are healing and are getting stronger than ever. It feels good to feel the wind under my wings. Just watch me fly. 


© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved              www.esperanzahabla.com


"Spirit of Flight" by Josephine Wall

Comments