Writing a Book


Writing a book seems like the easiest thing in the world. “I’m writing a book”. Such an easy thing to say. Not an easy thing to actually do.

In addition to publishing my poetry in 2013 I am writing a book. I hope to have it completed by this time next year and have it ready to sell in 2014.

I am finding that writing a book is not the easiest thing in the world. In fact, for me, I’m finding it very difficult. I know the story I want to tell: “Girl meets boy, boy meets girl, boy changes girl’s life forever”. However actually telling the story is proving to be a tedious task.

I have never written a book before, and have never written a story before. I know the story, I know how I want to tell it, I know what I want to convey. But actually getting from point A to point B is quite the challenge.

I find myself getting lost in the dialogue. It can be very confining and tedious. I also find that every writer’s friends, “Criticism” and “Doubt” are at every corner. I just have to tell the story. I’ll critique it and clean it up after it is written.

If I get this done, if I write the book, tell the story I wanted to tell and publish it, it will be the most daunting achievement of my literary career.

As a good friend told me, “It doesn’t matter when you finish the book, just finish it.”

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved       www.esperanzahabla.com


Comments