Letters to the Moon*


Letters to the Moon

I sit at the computer and begin to write. Not a letter, not a soliloquy. Maybe not a poem. Maybe a letter. A letter to the moon.

I began to have a strong connection to the moon through a dear friend. He and I were friends from afar. He told me once, “If you miss me, if you need me, look to the moon. We’re under the same moon. Look to the moon. I’m there waiting for you. You’re not alone.”

When another dear true friend died, a friend told me that the friend that died was in the heavens, on the moon, watching over us, taking care of us, looking out for us like a guardian angel.

Now when I look at the moon, I do not see either of these friends. I see another friend, a new friend of my creation, Luna, who tells me “If you miss me, if you need me, look to the moon. We’re under the same moon. Look to the moon. I’m there waiting for you. You’re not alone.”

The moon has such a strong impact on my life. I feel the moon is a friend, a companion, a muse. That is why I call myself the Poet of the Moon.

That is why I write her letters. Not poems. Letters to the moon.

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

unknown title and artist

Comments