Another Day Is Done

I return from a day at work filled with chaos; our busiest day in months. I feel nothing but stress and exhaustion. I climb the stairs to my home, turn the key, let myself in, lock the door behind me and lean my back against it, sighing in relief.
I am finally home. Another day is done.

I am met by my two kittens; they are glad to see that mama is home. I pet each of the kittens. They relish the affection. One of the kittens jumps to reach my hand. She reminds me of a horse that stands up on its hind legs and bucks. She is my bucking bronco. I fill their food bowl with a scoop of food. The kittens eat and purr contentedly.

I prepare my evening meal, and then sit on the couch. I turn on the television to the national news. I soon have a kitten on the couch with me. She is content to keep my company, yet wants to help me finish my meal. I continue watching the news. The kitten has now moved closer. She has settled down, lying against my legs.

Soon after, my other kitten comes for a visit; she jumps up and rests on the arm of the couch. She then decides to come lay on me, on top of my chest. It is her favorite spot; she loves to lay on top of me, to feel my heartbeat, to feel my chest raise and fall with my breath.

All is quiet and still. There is no sound in the room but the television. Daylight is leaving, night is coming. I lay on the couch with one kitten next to me, the other kitten on top of me.

Soon another friend comes to visit. I look to the window; the curtains are parted. There before my eyes, my friend the moon. I feel a sense of relief, seeing my friend. I talk to my friend Luna in thoughts and whispers. The kitten on my chest turns to me, as if asking what I said. I tell her I am talking to my friend Luna. The kitten looks out the window, noticing my friend. She then lays her head down again, in quiet contentment.

A peaceful time, surrounded by purring, enveloped by the warmth of the kittens, bathed in moonlight. My kitties and my eternal best friend are with me. I sink into the couch, in total relaxation and peace after a day of chaos.

Another day is done.

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved




Comments