A Union of Souls

A few days ago, a very good friend of mine gave birth to her first child. A few years ago, she moved away. I have seen photos from her life on social media, keeping in touch from a far. I delighted in seeing photos from her wedding a couple years ago. Over the last nine months, I had the pleasure of seeing pictures she posted, watching her grow and glow in her pregnancy. The baby was born in perfect health; mother and baby were just fine. I was overjoyed at the news of the birth. I was so happy for my friend and her husband.

Hearing the news of the birth of her child, I began to think about the closest thing I have to children, my kittens. Do not misunderstand me; I do not see my kittens as a replacement for children, or to be the equivalent to a child. They are my pets, and I love them. They share my home, and have a place in my heart forever. But I do not consider them my children.

My kittens are 15 months old now, no longer kittens officially (after they are a year old, they are called cats.) However, I love referring to them as my kittens. In terms of their development, they are cats-teenagers to be exact. The days of their thinking everything is a toy is long gone. Their favorite toy is one another. They love to chase one another through the house, wrestle and roughhouse together, and cuddle with one another as they sleep.

I began to look at photos of them, and reflect on the time that I adopted them from the shelter, just over a year ago. I saw photos from their first night home, their first month, and their first year. The photos of the kittens are truly adorable. (What animal owner does not think their pets are adorable?) : )

Seeing those photos, I remembered those first days, as the kittens got to know their new home, got to know me, and I got to know them. They are just like human beings; each animal has their own unique personality and temperament. One kitten loves to be held and cuddled; the other kitten likes affection when she likes it, on her terms. 

I then thought about the love that we share, my love for the kittens, and their love for me. How did that happen? I knew I cared for the kittens the day I adopted them. I got to know their personalities, and within hours my caring turned to love. But, for the kittens, how did that happen? How did they come to love me? Do they love me because I am the only person they see and interact with? Or do they truly love me?

I think that, when you care for an animal, feed them, give them water, ensure their comforts, give them a safe, warm place for a home, they begin to trust you. That trust turns into love. Fifteen months later, the kittens come to me to be held and cuddled, and to share kitty kisses. I can say without a doubt that my kittens truly love me. And I truly love them.

How does that bond happen? Does it appear from nothing? Did we create it? Were our souls meant to meet? The bond we feel with our pets, I feel, can only be understood and described as what it is-a union of souls.

 © Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

An example of a kitty kiss

Comments