the Path to Forgiveness

In the last year, I have begun to study and follow many life coaches and spiritual mentors. One of the mentors I follow is Iyanla Vanzant. She is a minister, spiritual leader, and a life coach. She has a weekly show on U.S. television; I find I learn something from every episode I watch.

Last week, Iyanla Vanzant posted on her Facebook page that she has a new book out called “Forgiveness: 21 Days to Forgive Everyone for Everything.” Here is a link to buy the book:

When I saw the post, I mentioned it to a friend who is going through a private, personal struggle, and is working on forgiveness.

Later that day I told another friend about the book, and that I hoped my library had ordered a copy of it. I would like to read it and learn more. This friend then asked me if I have forgiven the man who last broke my heart. My honest reply: 
“No, I have not.”

I explained that, when it comes to forgiveness, I feel we have three choices:
1.) to forgive the person that wronged us
2.) to forgive the deeds the person did to us
3.) to do nothing and not forgive the person or their deeds

I chose to forgive the deeds of the person, not the person themselves.

The friend I was talking to paused a moment. She then asked me, “What would it take for you to forgive him?”

My reply:
“If he came to me and owned up to his behavior, if he was remorseful about what he had done, if he felt bad in his heart, if he truly apologized from his soul, I would forgive him.”

My friend understood, yet she seemed disappointed by answer. She did not know how I could choose to forgive the deeds of the person, and not the person themselves. I then went on to clarify my answer….

“I cannot forgive that person without their being some remorse, and some form of an apology. The things he did were conscious, deliberate actions. He consciously chose those actions and behaviors.”

My friend nodded her head in understanding. I then continued my thought….

“There is a path to forgiveness. Whether a person is forgiven, or their deeds, one of the most important parts of forgiveness is letting go. I had to learn that, even though I had done nothing wrong, I would not be getting an apology from the person who wronged me. I had to deal with that pain. I had to find a new normal, and to be okay in knowing the apology I deserve is never going to come. I had to know that within my soul and let it go.

It is like the quote from Buddah about anger: ‘Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.’ Forgiveness is a very similar thing. If I do not forgive, then I am the one that suffers. I could not carry that hurt inside of me anymore. I had to work through the pain and let it go. In the time since the event happened, I have let go of it, and I have forgiven his deeds. That is all I can do.”

The path to forgiveness is not an easy one. But it is truly a path, a process, a journey, one that requires caution and mindfulness with every step.


Comments