My Story


I began this blog a month ago. I thought it might be a nice time to talk about how I got here.

My pen name is Esperanza Habla. This is not my real name. I am an American and I work in a library.

As I became active in social media, I began to acquire friends in different countries, several of whom spoke Spanish. 
I then decided to teach myself Spanish, to communicate with these friends and to strengthen my language skills. (I had taken some Spanish in school and remembered some vocabulary, but very little else.) Around the same time, a group of these friends encouraged me to use poetry to express myself, what I was thinking and feeling. I shared my writing with these friends, in English. I then shared the writing with more friends-friends who only spoke Spanish. I continued to hone my skills in Spanish through my writing.

The more I shared my writing with this core group of friends, the more positive feedback I got. They encouraged me to continue writing and to never stop. I soon found myself with many poems I had written. I then decided to create a blog. 
I was still very insecure in my writing and couldn’t write under my real name. I decided on Esperanza Habla because, translated into English, it means “Hope Speaks”. I think hope should speak. And I certainly have a lot to say. In March of 2011 I created the blog, the “Words of Hope”. It is a bilingual blog, with poems in English and Spanish. It has been a great success, attracting over 6,000 readers in over 20 countries. 

As I mentioned earlier, I launched this blog on December 1. I began this blog to expand my poetry to new readers. People can come to this blog and chose their language. The blog is then translated into your language. There are over 60 languages to choose from. To date I have had over 1,400 visitors. I wanted a successful launch of this blog, and I got it. Everyone is welcome and there are no language barriers, or barriers of any sort.

Another aspect of my learning Spanish has been a new career as a translator. I have translated written works from Spanish and Castilian into English for authors around the world. I will soon begin a new translation project in French.

Over the course of my growth as a writer, a friend pointed out that my writing has, and that I have, an “indigo” quality. 
I didn’t understand what that person meant. I looked up the traits of being “indigo”. The traits of being an indigo person means that they are: wise, insightful, spiritually aware, intuitive, perceptive, devoted, just, fair, responsible, and devoted to the truth. At first I thought this person was insane to say this to me; I didn’t see myself as being indigo at all. I now strongly identify myself with being indigo. It has been my favorite color for some time-now I know why. I am an indigo poet.

The other quality of my writing, or my literary career, is the moon. I have a strong tie to the moon. I share this tie with my friends in foreign lands. As I once wrote on this blog, a friend once told me, “If you miss me, if you need me, look to the moon. We’re under the same moon. Look to the moon. I’m there waiting for you. You’re not alone.” The moon is a friend, an inspiration, a constant companion.

The new year has arrived and I have many things I want to accomplish. I want to create my own publishing company. 
I want to also publish two books of my poetry to date: “I am Hope” and “Just Me”. The world is wide open. Anything I can dream I can accomplish.

I want to thank those friends, A, C, L, S for reading my first writings and encouraging me to write more. Without their encouragement I would not be a writer today. I would not be the woman, the person I am today. Thank you to all my friends and family for your endless encouragement. Thank you too to all of my readers. I am grateful for your support of my work.

I am an indigo poet. I am the poet of the moon. I am the indigo poet of the moon. I write whenever inspiration strikes. Whenever I hear the muse.

So that is my story. What’s yours?


© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved           www.esperanzahabla.com

Comments