Old Friends

In addition to my poetry, I am also writing my first novel-“Samantha”. It’s about the usual thing-“girl meets boy, boy meets girl, boy changes her life forever".

I have been working on formatting my poetry to sell, and creating my new business, and writing poetry. I haven’t written anything for the book in nearly a month. Until yesterday.

It was foreign at first, going back to the story, finding the scene, remembering what I wanted to occur in the scene. Within a few minutes, I was back to the story and writing with ease. It felt good to go back, to be creative, to tell this story, to meet up with these characters again.

This may be a unique thing, something that only writers experience. For those who do not write, this may be a hard concept to grasp-why it would feel good to be back amongst these characters that you yourself have created. I can only liken it to visiting your old neighborhood-experiencing the different sights and sounds, going back to a restaurant you used to go to and having your favorite meal. Or, hearing a song you’d forgotten about on the radio; upon hearing it again you are transported to a specific time and place or life event. 

It’s a feeling of the familiar, of comfort. Like meeting up with old friends.

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

 © Kimberly Anderson

Comments