Adorable Sight


This morning, while running an errand, I saw two Canada geese walking across the road. A line of cars quickly formed behind the geese, who were dawdling on their way. They were not in any hurry to cross that road. 

It was amusing to see all of the cars lined up, stopped in the road, for two Canada geese. While watching the geese cross, and the growing line of cars, I thought to myself, “Why would geese be here? There’s no water nearby. Why would the geese be here?” In a moment I would have my answer.

I arrived at my destination and found myself looking at a truly adorable sight. Just ahead, behind a gas station, in a patch of grass, I saw two adult Canada geese and about 12 goslings. The goslings were adorable. They were very little, with fluffy grey feathers. They were almost little fluff balls with beaks sticking out. 

Now I knew why the Canada geese had been crossing the road; they were en route to their babies, who were close by, being watched by friends or relatives.

Looking at the gaggle of geese, it looked like a geese play date. One adult goose watched over six or so of the goslings as they grazed in the grass. Another adult goose was under a small tree, in the shade, sitting under a tree, watching the rest of the goslings, which were resting peacefully. 

Suddenly, a gust of wind came out of nowhere; the goslings’ new feathers danced in the breeze. The babies shuddered in the sudden cold. It was beyond cute.

Here, in the middle of the city, I found two families of Canada geese, making themselves home on a bit of grass behind a gas station. I found it odd to find such a sight in an urban landscape. 

It made nervous to see them in such an area, surrounded by busy roads full of cars and trucks. It also made me hopeful that the geese could find the green space down the road, with a mini pond attached, where they would be out of harm’s way. It made me think of that quote from that famous dinosaur movie: “Nature finds the way.”

I took a picture of the family of geese before I left; you will find the two adult Canada geese and a few of the goslings in the photo below. There’s not much else to say about encountering this gaggle of geese. It was truly an adorable sight.

"Canda Goose Family" by Esperanza Habla
© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved


Comments