Citizen of the World


Have you ever wondered how you got where you are? Have you ever wondered how your people arrived where you are now? Have you ever wondered about your ancestry? Your heritage? Your lineage?

Shortly after I was born I was adopted. My parents are of Scottish/Irish/English ancestry. When they adopted me, 
I adopted their ancestry. Many adopted children grow up to be adults that want to find their birth parents. 
I don’t blame someone for wanting to do that, to find the parents that gave birth to them. But it is not for me. 
I have seen many shows on television dealing with ancestry, finding links throughout the world through DNA, (Deoxyribonucleic acid), the building blocks of life.

Since seeing these shows, I have wanted to do this myself.

This year for my birthday one of my sisters gave me a voucher for a DNA kit. The company in question divides the world into 5 regions (instead of the 7 continents.) The final results would show me what countries had matches for my DNA, based on those 5 regions. I entered the information for the voucher online; a few weeks later I received my kit. I followed the instructions, swabbed the inside of my cheek, sealed the samples in an envelope, and sent them back to the company. A few weeks later I now have my results.

Going in, I thought Ireland would be the top of the list for a DNA match. I was told that the name of my birth parents is Irish. I love Irish music; it speaks to my soul like no other. I would have bet money that the number one country match would have been Ireland. That’s not what I found out.

I received an e-mail today that my results were ready. I went to a website, logged in, and saw my results. I saw that there was a list of top country matches in each region, and how my DNA matched (or did not match) other countries in the same region. I mainly concentrated on the top 5 countries, the countries with the strongest match.

Here then are my results. My DNA was found in the following countries:

                                      Greece-Afghanistan-Honduras-Rwanda-Australia

Seeing these results makes me think back to the time of Pangea, the immense continent that once contained all 7 continents. With that image in mind, these results make sense. We were once all connected. We are all connected still.

I don’t know which of the 5 countries or regions has the stronger link. I don’t know which country is my country of origin. It could be one of those 5, or another country all together. (If I want to do one, I can do an ancestry test, also using DNA, to find my actual country of origin. But, the test is $100; I probably won’t be doing that.)

I don’t know where my ancestors came from, or how they came to the U.S. It is understood, being an American, that other than the Native American Indian tribes, everyone else came to this country somehow. As my President said, the U.S. is “…a nation of immigrants.” Our ancestors came here. Somehow. It’s the same for you. Some way, somehow, we all got where we are now.

I knew that I was American and something else too.  But I did not know what. Now I know-I am American, Scottish, Irish, English, Grecian, Afghani, Honduran, Rwandan and Australian!

We were once all connected. We are all connected still. It is the same for all of us. I am just like you. 
I am a citizen of the world.

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved


Comments